CrockPot Steel Cut Oatmeal

I live for breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day. So imagine waking up to the delicious scent of fresh oatmeal wafting from the kitchen, just waiting to be enjoyed!

Not just any oatmeal. Steel cut oats. Waaaaayyyy better than the mushy stuff in the microwave. Steel cut oats have a smooth yet hearty texture that the pickiest eaters are sure to enjoy.

Steel cut oats are whole grain groats which have been cut into only two or three pieces. Which means that the inner portion of the oat kernel is not missing so they pack extra  fiber and nutrients! They are golden in color and resemble small rice pieces. The cooking time is a bit longer than traditional rolled oats but so worth the wait!

crockpot-oatmeal

My dear friend Michelle introduced me to this simple method for enjoying steel cut oats- with a CrockPot!  Here is her recipe, which can be tweaked to suit your tastes:

oatmeal-crockpot

This is such a healthy and frugal way to enjoy your oatmeal. I purchase my oats in bulk at my local Sprouts for a fantastic price.

Have you tried Steel Cut Oats?

This post is linked to What’s In Your CrockPot? at Smockity Frocks and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

• Email this Post
About Alyssa Francis

A thirty-something wife and mother of four! Two daughters by birth, one son by marriage, and a sweet baby boy born in April of 2009. Oldest sister of four girls raised by a single mom. California native. Grew up in Hawaii. Somehow ended up in North Texas. Once a single mom. Former agnostic. A survivor of abuse and addiction. Forgiven by a great big God. Married to my best friend.

Comments

1. Do you cook it for 4 hours on low or high?

2. I’ve been hearing about Steel cut oats for a while. Where do you get them? Are they more expensive than regular oatmeal?

3. I love steel cut oats. And coconut oil too! It’s so good for you Did you know that it takes more calories to burn the coconut oil than you will ingest? Love that!
    .-= Cheryl@SomewhatCrunchy´s last blog ..Crock Pot "Baked" Potato Soup =-.

4. This looks yummy, Alyssa! Thank you so much for adding it to my CrockPot carnival!
    .-= Smockity Frocks´s last blog ..What’s In Your CrockPot? =-.

5. I love steel cut oats, but no one else in my family does. This sounds like a great way to cook them. I also use an appliance timer for my crockpot and it works great.

6. Where do you get steel-cut oats? I’ve been curious about oat groats and rolling our own oats for granola and so on, but haven’t done the due diligence to find out the best sources.

The recipe looks like a little slice of morning Heaven!

7. Mmm! I do crockpot oatmeal a few days a week, but I’ve not tried it w. molasses or coconut oil. Thanks!

8. You should be able to find steel cut oats in the grocery store…I get mine at Shoprite. They are a bit more expensive, but it’s worth it! I cook mine in the rice cooker, using the ratio of oats to water on the package. It takes a bit less than 30 minutes and they turn out great! I add raisins or cranberries while they cook, and sweeten with a bit of brown sugar before serving.

9. Oh, awesome! I can’t wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing!!

10. We love steel cut oats and I’ve wondered about using the crockpot! Thanks so much for this recipe:)

11. I’m so going to try this. After my microwave oatmeal disasters, I’m ready for a change! LOL
    .-= Myra´s last blog ..CrockPot Recipe Roundup! =-.

12. I tried making this type of oat on the stovetop and they didn’t come out so well, this sounds much better. Do you know if I can use regular oats in the crockpot too? Also, love the idea of an appliance timer. We have one for our outdoor lights I wonder if it would work indoors.
    .-= rene´s last blog ..IHOP National Pancake Day – February 23, 2010 =-.

13. Hi Alyssa,
    The water being in the crockpot for that period of time before you start cooking doesn’t affect the oats?

I’m going to try this this weekend!
    .-= Nancy´s last blog ..Free calendar from Pillsbury =-.

14. I have been waiting to buy a new crock pot with a timer on it. I have an appliance timer and i don’t know why I never thought to use it like this! Duh! Thank you! I’m going to have to steel cut oats in the morning! :)
    .-= arminda´s last blog ..no! he just got better! =-.

15. I’ve never tried steel cut oats, but I am a big fan of oatmeal on a cold morning. This looks like a delicious recipe to try.!

16. Alyssa Francis says:

Cheryl, I was not aware of that fact, wow! Now I feel less guilty for enjoying it. ;)

17. Alyssa Francis says:

Nancy-

No, not the steel cut variety. They are heartier than rolled oats, so they can sit in water for several hours and still taste great! I really hope you like it, let me know what you think.

18. Alyssa Francis says:

Ashley, too funny! I am currently breastfeeding and did not even think about the supply factor. I guess my son will be enjoying the benefits this week! :)

19. Alyssa Francis says:

Hi Rene,
    I bet you could use regular oats, but cook for a shorter amount of time. Perhaps just experiment with the timing until you perfect the consistency? Although I am partial to my steel cut. ;)

20. Alyssa Francis says:

Dana,
    You might try your local health food store or specialty grocery store. You can usually buy them in metal canisters, but if you can find them in bulk, it is much cheaper! It is worth the extra effort to find them, I guarantee it. :)

21. Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2 says:

Ooh, I would have loved this recipe when I was worried about my breastfeeding supply and I ate way more oats than is probably healthy!! This looks delicious, I bet my kids would love it!
    .-= Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2´s last blog ..A Delicious, Easy Ham in the Crockpot =-.

22. I was coming to ask where to get them, but see you’ve answered that :) . Sounds delish!

23. Hi Alyssa,

Where did you get your appliance timer? I soooo want one.

24. Thanks for this recipe, Alyssa. I just bought steel cut oats for the first time a few weeks ago, and I haven’t been able to find a recipe that allows them to taste good and cook right. I’ll have to try your recipe tonight!

25. Yum!!

Ditto on the coconut oil. I don’t generally keep it in the house, so I was just wondering. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

26. Jennifer,
    Please send your recipe for the rice cooker. I love to use my rice cooker.
    thanks,
    Jennifer

27. I love steel cut oats but never want to take the time to cook them in the morning, so this recipe will work for me.

Why the coconut oil?

Hi or low?
    .-= Brenda´s last blog ..Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake/TMTT =-.

28. You could easily substitute butter if you don’t have coconut oil, it just helps with the texture.

I am fortunate enough to live in Amish Country, and get my steel cut oats in bulk from my local Amish store for a great price!

29. I have never used steel cut oats, but have recently been checking into them and I really like this crockpot way of cooking them. Thank you. Because someone asks, I found that there are other names for “steel cut oats.” Steel-cut oats are known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, or Irish oats. Our local kroger grocery store sells them (although lately they have been out of them lol) and they are called “irish oats.” If I can ever catch them on the shelve I plan on trying this recipe.

30. Jennifer,
    I bought the steel oats in bulk and don’t know the ratio of water to oats for the rice cooker. Do I use the same as the crock pot? 1/2 c oats to 4 cups water? My rice cooker is a smaller one.
    Thanks,
    Cynde

31. Alyssa Francis says:

Colleen, thanks for sharing that fact! Hopefully that will make them easier to find. I had forgotten all about “Irish” oats. Great tips!

32. Sorry…the messages bounced into my junkmail :)
    4 cups of water to 1 cup of steel cut oats. I usually start it cooking and then take a shower! By the time I’m done and dressed the oatmeal is done…maybe about 30 minutes. I like to put dried cranberries in while it cooks. They do get quite musy this way, so be aware of that….I just like the flavor they give. I love my rice cooker too!

33. 1 cup steel cut oats to 4 cups water works perfect with my rice cooker!

34. Alyssa Francis says:

You can find appliance timers at Walmart for around $5. They are usually near the paint and hardware section!

35. Alyssa Francis says:

Sorry, Tanya, I should have mentioned that I cook on low for 4 hours. :) Hope you enjoy it!

36. We LOVE it!! Thanks so much!!

37. I’ve been making something like this for a few years. I use 1 c. steel cut oats with 3 c. unsweetened apple juice and 1 c. water plus cinnamon, raisins, and dried diced apples. I put it on low in the crock pot overnight and it’s ready in the morning. The kids love it and it is so healthy!
    .-= Sonya Mounts´s last blog ..Basement Beautification =-.

38. Alyssa Francis says:

Oh, that sounds wonderful! Adding the dried fruit is a great way to add some extra nutrition and flavor. Thanks for sharing!

39. Thanks so much for this idea! It sounds great!

I love steel cut oats! I eat them 3-4 times a week for breakfast, but I hate the cooking time! I get mine at our Commissary, so people that are looking for them should be able to find them at a regular grocery store (the commissary usually has more limit selection, so if they have them than most other stores probably would too). They are slightly more expensive, but so worth it!

Can’t wait to try this out!
    .-= Lauren @ Just Add Lauren´s last blog ..Why I Quit "The Grocery Game" and other thoughts about saving money =-.

40. I live in the Chicago suburbs and our Trader Joe’s sells steel-cut oatmeal. Where do you all buy the coconut oil? I’m going to have to buy an appliance timer at Wal-mart. Love that idea!

41. One more question. Is it okay for my 2 year old to eat the coconut oil? Her stomach is too sensitive for cod liver oil so I was wondering about the coconut oil.

42. @Kathy, I just saw this. I’m in Aurora. Whole Foods and Fruitful Yield both have coconut oil. And its nothing like cod liver oil so it should be ok for your daughter :)