Faith & Finance: God Owns Everything

I have started this post a thousand times in my head. For over a year He has been quietly prodding me.

Do more…

And the excuses rose.

But…

I can’t do it.

I haven’t been a Christian long enough. (seven years)

I don’t know enough about the Bible.

And then I remember Moses, who felt ill-equipped and under-qualified. The Lord reminded him, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” (Exodus 4:10-12)

So I decided to stop making excuses and step out in faith.

The mission and title of my blog say it all. Coupons and deals can be valuable tools for good stewardship, when used effectively. But how does one really honor God with their finances?

This is the task He has laid on my heart. To “encourage and equip others” to do so. But in order to honor Him with our finances, we must first learn about His economy, not the world’s. Kingdom-nomics.

There are dozens of financial experts out there who will tell you how to handle your money. Personal finance bloggers, frugal bloggers and deal bloggers grow in number each day. While they all  have valuable lessons and tools to offer, believers are called to rely first on His Word.

bible-bank

Did you know that God has given us more than 800 scriptures about money?

Clearly matters of finance should be a big deal in our Christian walk. Yet it may not be a topic you hear much about in church.

For over a year, I felt led to begin a weekly series featuring a scripture or two about finances and my thoughts on the verse. That’s it. Yet, I made those excuses. My latest? I didn’t have a catchy title for the feature. Silly, right?

Anyway.

This post begins the first installment of this new weekly feature. Finally. I am not an expert, or a theology major. I am simply a mom who loves His Word.

bible

The first and most important Biblical Financial Principle I am sharing is very simple: God owns everything.

What does this have to do with finance?

Flowing out of the fact that God created and owns everything is the logical conclusion that whatever we possess is not really ours, but belongs to God. Therefore, we are trustees, not owners. Including our bank accounts.

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.  Psalm 24:1

• Email this Post
About Alyssa Francis

A thirty-something wife and mother of four! Two daughters by birth, one son by marriage, and a sweet baby boy born in April of 2009. Oldest sister of four girls raised by a single mom. California native. Grew up in Hawaii. Somehow ended up in North Texas. Once a single mom. Former agnostic. A survivor of abuse and addiction. Forgiven by a great big God. Married to my best friend.

Comments

1. I look forward to reading your posts on this topic. Good for you for stepping out in faith!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Graduation in Hawaii =-.

2. Thank you for sharing this post. So often I forget that what I have is not truly mine, and it is solely for His glory. When I fret about money and finances, in the end the Lord always provides. :)

3. Rebecca says:

I think it is a great addition to your blog!

4. Melissa Multitasking Mama says:

Proud of you for following His call! I wrote a Bible study called Faith, Family and Finances for our church and through that process learned so many things about biblical stewardship. I look forward to learning what you garner from the Scriptures as well!
    .-= Melissa Multitasking Mama´s last blog ..These are a few of my favorite things =-.

5. MaryEllen says:

Thanks for obeying Him! I will look forward to reading your future posts!
    .-= MaryEllen´s last blog ..Nabisco Cookies Printable Coupon – Today Only =-.

6. I think this is a great idea for a series. It is a subject that we all needed reminded. I look forward to reading this series.
    .-= Lynn´s last blog ..Menu Plan =-.

7. Jennifer says:

YES! I subscribed to your email blogs because of the Christian bent your name “Keeping the Kingdom First” and all along loving all the tips and hints, kept hoping you were going to throw in some Scripture verses and remind us where it all comes from! Great Job, please keep it going…we are HUNGRY to be fed spiritually too! Thanks!

8. So glad you chose to be obedient! It’s so easy to get caught up in deal hunting and the lure of a bargain, whether I NEED the item or not. This is such a timely reminder. Thank you!

9. Constance says:

I am thrilled about this new addition to your blog. We so often get caught up with money…. saving it and spending it, that we forget that saving and spending don’t always mean we are being “good stewards” of our blessings. Thank you for including God’s word in with YOUR good works. I look forward to reading and learning!

10. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been subscribing to your blog for about 2 yrs now and this is what I love most about it. I love hearing how you, as a mom, are lining up your life with His Word. It is a great encouragement to the rest of us out here to know we’re not alone in our quests…. Can’t wait to see what He leads you to tell us :)

11. I’m really looking forward to this series. I don’t live in your area and so some of the deals that you talk about aren’t applicable to me, but this is totally applicable to everyone. Thanks for being willing to share in this way too!

12. I think the title is catchy and the series a GREAT idea!

13. Great job Alyssa. I am a 58 year old Mom and Nana on my own.no extra income and cried out to God to show me a way that I could give to others.He directed me to the Drugstore deals and I have been so blessed. Thanks for reminding me not to get focused on the “things” because when I stay focused on the Lord, the “things” are taken care of.

14. Thank you for starting this series! I am looking foward to it! As someone who is in a massive amount of debt and who recently committed to tithing I need this series! I have been struggling with weather or not to tithe now while we are carrying this massive amount of debt and are behind on several payments or wait until we are in a better position to do so.
    Last week. My dh and I took that first leap of faith(after much advice on tithing now or waiting until we had a better control of our debt and I have to say of the folks I asked many advised us to tithe even though we are struggling) and wrote out a check to our church last Sunday for 10% of our income. It was exciting and scary at the same time. We are commited to changing our ways and honoring God with our tithes. I feel like your new series is aimed directly at me!
    .-= Michele´s last blog ..Swagbucks~Summer of Swag Starts Tomorrow! =-.

15. I got goosebumps when I read this on my RSS feed. You are SO RIGHT, and I love that you are posting this as the first in a series. Thank you for doing what He has asked you to do, and blessing the rest of us. :)

16. Lacey C. says:

Thank you for doing this!

17. Thank you for this new addition to the blog. I love it and am looking forward to more! Every now and then I’ll admit, I get caught up in finding the deals every week and I have to stop and remind myself that a) I don’t HAVE to get EVERY deal! b) I’m spending way too much time on trying to save money, c) I’m a stay-at-home-mom and that comes before couponing, d) while I believe (with a passion) that couponing and deal-hunting is being a good steward of our finances and helping us save money, ultimately God WILL provide everything we NEED!

18. Amen sister!

19. This is great, Alyssa! I’m so glad you started this.

It’s so funny, I taught on this exact topic during a coupon class with my Sunday school ladies. Though, I used the word manager vs. trustee. Just like there are business owners and managers – the managers may run everything and take care of everything, but it really all belongs to the owner. Everything we have – money, our homes, our husbands, children, and our bodies – it all belongs to God. He has just given us the responsibility of managing it. It really makes you think about how you are managing these things and whether or not your are honoring God while doing it.
    .-= Stephanie @ Couponing 101´s last blog ..Printable Coupons: Pillsbury Crescents, Cheez-Its, and More! =-.

20. Thanks for the timely reminder…. may you be INCREDIBLY blessed by the ONE that spoke it all into being :) ! He is adding those jewels to your crown as we “speak”! Thank you for using the internet for HIS glory ;) !

21. Thanks for the timely reminder….. May you be INCREDIBLY blessed by the ONE who spoke it all into being! :) HE’s adding those jewels to your crown as we “speak”! Thank you for using the internet for HIS glory ;) !

22. Jenifer says:

I just wanted to encourage you and thank your for being obedient. You and others will be blessed by the way you are following the Lord. The idea of being stewards of what God has entrusted to us is one that we need to remember in every area of our lives. My mom has been a living example of that over the last 2 years. My younger brother died two years ago on the mission field…he was 22. The thing I hear my mother say over and over again is that my brother was never hers, he was always the Lord’s (and she recites Psalm 24:1). The Lord was owner of my brother’s days and my parents were entrusted to raise him in the knowledge and ways of the Lord. They were never give ownership of his days or his life. They were trustees. What an amazing lesson I am learning as I watch my mother grieve. Finances, children, the place we call home, all of it has been entrusted to us and we must be willing to give it back to the Lord, the owner of it all. Thanks, Alyssa, for this reminder.

23. I love this post! Amen and Amen! I am really looking forward to the next post on this topic! God is good all the time!

24. Thank You, needed that

25. What a wonderful, inspiring idea for a series… I am so glad you’ve been called to do this! Looking forward to reading all you have to share with and spending some time reflecting on it myself. It is definitely something worth my time.
    .-= JessieLeigh´s last blog ..Menu Plan: 6/6 – My Baby Turns One! =-.

26. Great reminder!! It’s too easy to get our eyes on what surrounds us and, when we’re in financial straits, to forget this very simple, yet often not “easy” idea. It’s all His anyway!! :)

27. Excellent idea Alyssa! I can’t wait to read more! :) You inspire me every day!
    .-= Myra´s last blog ..Our Love Story – Part 5 =-.

28. I feel pretty confident I will enjoy the series although I doubt God has any interest in my bank account..(“render unto Caeser…Easier for a camel to enter a needle then a rich man…..)

I do get where you are likely going though. Money can be the means to minister to those less fortunate as easily as it can be misused by those that are greedy as a distraction from Him. It’s all about where your heart lies and what yoursoul compels you to do.

29. Alyssa- Thank you for taking this leap in your faith to share with all of us who can always use a challenge in how we think about and act upon our finiancial responsibility. Living mindfully of the fact that God owns and created all things should help me better honor him in my daily living!

You continue to shine in your writing, sharing and blogging!
    God Bless!

30. Love that we have our faith in common. Thankful to call ya a sista AND a friend! =)
    .-= QuatroMama´s last blog ..Prehistoric Rabbit Repellant for Gardens =-.

31. Luvs2sav$$ says:

Thank you for sharing this. It’s 1:50 pm, I’ve been feeling pretty lousy all morning and this totally lifted my spirit up & made my day. The food for thought you just shared with us brought me back to where I’m suppose to be instead of the dark place I was heading to.

32. Thanks!! This is a great reminder. My husband and I just completed the 12 week Crown Financial Ministry Study this spring and that is the 1st thing we learned. It really changes your perspective. Thanks for sharing this!

33. Thanks Alyssa! You are inspiring and you remind me to be obedient to his calling as well. Love you my sister in Christ!

34. thank you so much~! it’s what i needed to read. I had to repent of me poverty mindset & clinging onto my finances & fearing for what’s coming ahead. i needed to read your post to be reminded…that in heaven, our money down here on earth is just monopoly $…we can’t use it in heaven but we can use it for his kingdom purposes.

35. Love it! Thanks for speaking the truth, so refreshing :)
    .-= Kimberly´s last blog ..Free almond snack tin offer from Almond Board of California =-.

36. hippie4ever says:

Beautiful post and so true :)

Glad you stepped out in faith.

37. Jessica says:

having worked in banking now for 10 years I know many people really need to understand what God says about money (me included) the LOVE of money truly is the root of all evil. And yet if we just let it go God will give us so much more!

38. Alyssa Francis says:

@Molly, Thank you for your kind words. I give Him all the glory!

And you shine as well, my friend. :)

39. Alyssa Francis says:

@Jessica, Exactly. So often I hear that verse misquoted. Money is not the root of all evil, it’s the LOVE of money, as you said!

40. Alyssa Francis says:

@cwaltz, Thanks for your comment. While I don’t believe God has any interest in the *size* of our bank account, I do think our bank account reveals our spending habits, which in turn reveal our heart. Spending wisely in a way that honors Him is my goal. :)

41. Alyssa Francis says:

@Luvs2sav$$, Your comment really blessed me. I am humbled that God allowed my post to brighten your day!

42. Alyssa, thank you for following God’s directive to you. You are a blessing in your obedience. God is the owner of all and we are His stewarts. I am grateful for the reminder. We so often get off track and not remember that God is frugal. He has not and will not waste anything. As we reflect Him, we do likewise. Keep following God and be encouraged, you are a blessing.
    .-= jean´s last blog ..Dollar General: Coupons, Promotions and More =-.

43. Khaleef @ KNS Financial says:

This is a great message! God owns everything, and we need to be sure that all we do financially (and every other area) is pleasing to Him!

Thanks!
    .-= Khaleef @ KNS Financial´s last blog ..True Christian Conduct =-.

44. I am looking forward to reading more! We all need the reminder that God is in control!

45. Karina House says:

Thanks for being faithful, Alyssa!

46. Writing down this verse….and I love the reminder that we are just trustees!
    .-= Rachel ´s last blog ..First things First =-.

47. Perfect post. I’m glad you followed the urging. Beautifully written and conveyed. Definitely true. Thanks for the reminder.
    .-= Petula´s last blog ..Ut oh, did I delete you? =-.

Trackbacks

1. Faith & Finance: God Owns Everything — Kingdom First Mom | Daily Money Saving Ideas says:

[...] following God and be encouraged, you are a blessing. Thank You, Jean … … More here: Faith & Finance: God Owns Everything — Kingdom First Mom ← Today’s Moms Tip of the Day: Saturday [...]

2. [...] week, I announced a new weekly feature here on KingdomFirstMom.com. This is week two in our topic of Faith & [...]

3. Faith & Finance series by Kingdom First Mom says:

[...] of time, abilities and resources of material wealth. Everything we have comes from God and belongs to Him. We have a choice each and every day – do we invest those resources to further the Kingdom? Or [...]

4. Faith and Finances says:

5. [...] of time, abilities and resources of material wealth. Everything we have comes from God and belongs to Him. We have a choice each and every day – do we invest those resources to further the Kingdom? [...]